Tuesday, June 8, 2010

2009 Beau Chene, White Granache, Vin De Pays D'Oc, France

Terry post:

Summer Wine Series

It was a few weeks ago that I purchased a number of bottles of wine from The Wine Seller in Herndon, Virginia. Unlike my brother's experience in Iowa, Lucinda could have not been more helpful providing me several surprising hits.

I have scant experience with White Granache wine. When I think Grenache, I think of the stony vineyards of Châteauneuf-du-Pape which produce the rich, thick and chewy reds which I so enjoy.

The idea of sacrificing a great French red for a so-so "pink" wine is, to say the least, a damn waste of grapes.

Okay. Enough griping.

My impressions: Pale salmon color in the glass. Strawberries on the nose, but not so overwhelming as to be unpleasant. Fresh and dry. Smooth. Easy to drink - not overtly sweet. There is more than a hit of acidity in the wine, so it might work with food. My thought is that it is best as an accompaniment to light lunchtime fare or by itself well chilled. Citrus and melon on a long refreshing finish. Recommended.

Second thoughts: The wine improved and tasted better on day #2 than it did on day #1. Were I to buy another bottle, I'd give the wine some time to breath before I drank it. I may not have had the wine on its best footing when I first sampled it.

$12 at The Wine Seller

~ Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment